Rosa, commonly known as Rose, is a genus of about 150 species of deciduous or semi-evergreen perennials in the family Rosaceae, native to the regions of the Northern Hemisphere. Roses are one of the most popular flowers in the world prized for its beauty, as well as its many useful qualities. They are famous for their strong fragrance and attractive multi-petaled flowers surrounded by the strong and sharp thorns of the Rose bush. Flowers vary in size and shape and are often followed by a red or purple fruits known as “Rose hips”. Roses are great for any floral occasion. They are present and they are everywhere where love blooms!
Meaning: The genus name comes from the Latin word “rosa”, which comes from the Greek word “rhodon”, words the ancient Romans and Greeks used for both the flower and the color red. It is also believed that it was borrowed from the Old Persian word of “wurdi”, which means “flower”.
Symbolism: Generally, Rose is a symbol of love. Roses are one of the most popular flowers to give to someone you love. However, Roses have a wide variety of meanings, depending on the color of the flower. For example:
- Red Rose is a flower of love and deep emotions.
- Pink Rose means admiration, joy and gratitude.
- Yellow Rose symbolizes friendship and caring.
- White Rose represents innocence and purity.
- Purple Rose symbolizes enchantment and “love at first sight”.
- Blue Rose means: “mystery or something desired but unattainable”.
- Black rose symbolizes death.